Designs and defines system architecture for new or existing computer systems.
Additional Mandatory Skills:
Computer Engineer - Storage
The successful candidate for this position must have the ability to work with a diverse IT infrastructure, which includes: storage/backup, platforms, middleware, and software development. The duties of this position may include, but not limited to, analyzing the existing storage and implementing new storage to meet the needs of the mission customer.
• Determine processes that should be developed/automated to improve efficiency and reliability
• Run daily checks of arrays using storage monitoring tools to ensure health of arrays
• Review storage trends to ensure that applications have desired space and performance requirements
• Perform LUN migrations between arrays and within arrays
• Manage fiber channel switches, which include health checks and preventive maintenance
• Make recommendations, including new purchases, to management based on observed operational requirements
• Ensure arrays have latest approved firmware/software installed
• Clone mission critical database to facilitate rapid recovery in case of database corruption
• Configure and maintain backups (e.g., Tivoli, NetBackup, StoreNext)
• Perform daily file system maintenance (e.g., StoreNext Archives)
• Work with infrastructure engineers, O&M peers and development teams to support the customer’s mission
• Must be able to understand the customer requirement and translate into the storage system requirement
• Participates in the governance boards and ensure actions are completed in a timely fashion
• Rotating Pager Duty
• Demonstrated hands-on in-depth knowledge and experience in storage principles including types of storage, RAID types, network storage types, and the best practices of when to use each type
• Ability to review storage requirements to ensure that the infrastructure supports growth, archive and performance requirements for all supported applications.
• Design and document enterprise storage backup solutions, leveraging the appropriate mix of proven and edge technologies (e.g., Tivoli, NetBackup, StoreNext)
• Demonstrated experience of backup and recovery functions
• Demonstrated 10+ years hands-on experience working with file systems and database storage functions
Desired Skills: • Demonstrated knowledge and understanding working with SAN fabrics
• Demonstrated experience working in Data Center environment
• Demonstrated understanding server platforms (i.e. Linux/Windows)
• High-level knowledge of Cloud Computing
1. Performs complex systems development and design work that may include logic design, I/O design, firmware development, model formulation, manufacturing and development cost projections, computer architecture analysis and design, and analog or digital systems engineering.
2. Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
3. Plans upgrades of operating systems and designs systems enhancements.
4. Develops documentation on new or existing systems.
5. Develops and conducts tests to ensure systems meet documented user requirements.
6. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves system problems.
7. Provides system/equipment/specialized training and technical guidance.
8. Determines system specifications, input/output processes, and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
9. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced systems engineers and may have supervisory responsibility.
10. May serve as a technical team or task lead.
11. Serves as liaison with clients, participating in meetings to ensure client needs are met.
12. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
13. Participates in special projects as required.
1. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline.
2. Masters Degree preferred.
10-15 years of related systems engineering experience.
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Software Powered by iCIMS